CGM’s Essential Guide to Movies During Physical Distancing
In last week’s internal newsletter, we challenged our employees to put together a list of binge-worthy TV shows and movies to enjoy over the weekend while practicing physical distancing. Below is a collaborative list from our team, however……one overachiever compiled a list by genre and added a synopsis and review. Are we missing a show you love? Let us know!
Collaborative Employee Picks
Ozark (season 3 coming March 27th)
Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee (Jerry Seinfeld)
Parks & Rec
The Good Place
Dead to Me
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Great British Baking Show
Movie List by Genre with Reviews
True Crime Shows/Documentaries
• An American Murder Mystery: The Staircase
• The Case Against Adnan Syed – There is also a good podcast about it
• Conversations with a Killer: Ted Bundy
• Fargo – Each season is based on a real story from the North Central part of the country. Similar to the movie Fargo.
• The Jinx – Personal favorite in this category
• Making a Murderer
• Narco’s – Show about Pablo Escobar and drug trafficking
• 13 Reasons Why – Very heavy show about high schoolers and the troubles of today
• Better Call Saul – Prequal to Breaking Bad
• Big Little Lies – Good show on HBO a lot of famous actresses
• Billions – Good show about the very rich investment bankers and the US Attorney trying to take them down
• Black Mirror – Episodes about the futuristic world and how tech could potentially affect society
• Bloodline – Heavy show about family drama and issues
• Breaking Bad – Historic show about a dad making meth to get his family money because he was diagnosed with cancer
• Chernobyl – Docuseries about the nuclear meltdown
• Deadwood – Show about an old mining town. Definitely rated R
• The Deuce – Show about the change of time square from the red district of the 70s and 80s to what it is today. Very rated R.
• Game of Thrones – All-time great show. I think people know the premise
• The Handmaid’s tale – Heavy show about the world not being able to reproduce enough and society kind of breaks down. Rated R
• Lost – Classic show from ABC. I’m furious about the ending.
• Mad Men – Very slow show but it’s entertaining
• Mindhunter – Show about how the FBI developed its knowledge and profiles for serial killers
• The Morning Show – Great show, loosely based on the Matt Lauer situation
• Orange is the New Black – Show about a women’s prison. Rated R.
• Ozark – Great show about organized crime in MO. Rated R
• Peaky Blinders – Great show about a gang in Britain during the industrial revolution. Rated R
• Sharp Objects – Very heavy show about Munchausen by proxy. Rated R
• Sons of Anarchy – Great show about a biker gang that traffics guns.
• The Sopranos – Historic show about organized crime in NJ/NY. Rated R
• Succession – Great show about a huge media company and its plan to transition company to children.
• True Detective – Season 1 and 3 are good. Season 2 was not the best. They are unrelated and can be watched separately. – Heavy show – can be disturbing. Rated R
• The Wire – Historic show about crime in Baltimore. Each season has a focus on a different part of the city (cops and gangs, international port, government, schools, and the media) and how it affects the crime situation. Rated R
• Blue Mountain State – Dumb humor about a college football team.
• Entourage – Great show loosely based on Mark Wahlberg’s life. Rated R
• F is for Family – Adult cartoon created by comedian Bill Burr. Loosely based on his life.
• It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia – Great show about a group of dumb friends that own a bar in Philadelphia
• The Office – Historic show that makes fun of cube life
• Schitt’s Creek – Very funny show about a very, very wealthy family that loses all their money and moves to a poor town in rural America.
• Shameless – Raunchy show about a poor family on the south side struggling to get by. Rated R
• Silicon Valley – A tech company and the struggle to make it in Silicon Valley
• Weeds – Single mom that starts a business selling weed to rich moms in California
• Dirty money – Good series about various companies, counties, and industries and some of the dirty/illegal ways they have made money
• Flint Town – Water pollution in Flint, MI